ACK Bursary (Financial Aid) Policy and Procedure
To ensure that clear guidelines are available regarding criteria for provision of ACK Bursary (financial aid) towards College fees.
This document applies to all students registered at ACK.
- ACK will allocate KWD 14,000 per calendar year towards student financial aid through the Bursary Committee.
- A separate allocation is also available through the Chairman’s Office.
- Bursaries are available to any student studying at ACK regardless of the course of study they are undertaking.
- The Bursary Committee allocation of KWD 14,000 will be split equally into two KWD 7,000 per Fall and Spring semester. These funds will assist 7 students per semester towards their academic fees.
- Bursaries are of fixed value (KWD 1,000). Bursaries approved by the college will be offset against the fees payable for the particular semester.
- To ensure a fair and consistent approach in the allocation of such bursaries, funds are available on a semester basis. Students may only apply for and be awarded one bursary per semester.
- The College cannot guarantee the availability of a bursary to any particular student. All registered students at ACK are expected to fully meet all their fees in accordance with ACK’s published Fee Payment Schedule.
Prior to enrolment
- If any student is in a situation, prior to initial enrolment, where they may face issues with payment of their fees, they are required to make a full disclosure of this to ACK prior to enrolment. The College will consider various options with the student including deferral of enrolment.
- After initial enrolment, if financial circumstances change for a student, an appointment should be made with the Director - Finance to discuss the situation.
- Applicants must have an ACK Student Identification Number in order to apply for Financial Aid.
- When applying for Financial Aid, students must complete all sections of the official Bursary (Financial Aid) application (ACK.FO.VPAC.25.01) and provide all required documents. The ACK Bursary Committee will reject any application with incomplete data.
- Applications must be submitted by the required deadline. Submissions received after the deadline will be processed in the following semester.
- The College cannot guarantee the availability of aid to any particular student. If a student experiences sudden financial difficulties after the deadline, he or she may discuss the matter with the Director – Finance; however, ACK cannot ensure that sufficient funds remain to help the student that semester.
- Applications for a Bursary (Financial Aid) will be considered by both the Bursary Committee and the Office of the Chairman. The Bursary Committee will award aid to 7 students. The Chairman’s Office will separately consider Bursary applications as part of the Chairman’s Scholarships and Bursaries program.
- The Bursary Committee will determine the allocation of funds based on academic performance, attendance and financial situation of the student. Students with a record of violation under the Student Code of Conduct Policy and Procedure (ACK.PLR.SA.01) or Code of Academic Integrity Policy and Procedure (ACK.PLR.VPAC.09) will not be eligible for ACK Bursary.
- For Bursaries from the Office of the Chairman, allocations will be at the discretion of the Chairman or his delegate.
- The deadline for receipt of aid applications and the date of notification of outcome are set by the Senior Manager- Office of the Vice President Academic Affairs, and are indicated in the Academic Calendar.
CONTROL OF PROCESS
Timeline regarding Bursary (Financial Aid) Applications
|Time period||Action||Person responsible|
|Three weeks prior to advertised commencement of new semester||Final deadline for receipt of Bursary Applications via Registration Unit counter||Student|
|Three weeks prior to commencement of the semester||Collation of applications||Senior Manager- Office of the Vice President Academic Affairs|
|Three weeks prior to commencement of the semester||Summary of details relating to applications||Senior Manager- Office of the Vice President Academic Affairs|
|One week prior to commencement of the semester||Review of applications and allocation of Bursaries||Bursary Committee|
|One week prior to commencement of the semester||Communication by email to all applicants, Director - Finance, and Scholarships section of Admissions and Registration||Senior Manager- Office of the Vice President Academic Affairs|
Procedure to apply for Bursary
- Students wishing to apply for a Bursary should:
- Download the ACK Bursary Application Form (ACK.FO.VPAC.25.01) from the ACK Portal;
- Complete all sections of the Bursary Application Form (ACK.FO.VPAC.25.01);
- Attach all required documents;
- Include a full description of circumstances associated with the application;
- Submit the Bursary Application Form and all associated documents by the required deadline in a sealed envelope marked “Confidential to the Senior Manager- Office of the Vice President Academic Affairs”; and
- Sign the Register of Confidential Documents at the Registration Unit counter to confirm submission of the Bursary Application.
Processing of Bursary Applications by ACK
- Upon receipt of Bursary Applications, the following procedure will be enacted by college staff:
- Registration Unit counter staff member receiving any confidential documents including Bursary Applications should immediately enter the name and student ID (or mobile number if non ACK student) in the Register of Confidential Documents and ensure signature of student in the Register as having submitted the Confidential Document.
- Senior Manager- Office of the Vice President Academic Affairs will collect all incoming Bursary Applications as they are submitted and hold in secure storage until the closing date: Three weeks prior to commencement of new semester.
- On the closing date, the Senior Manager- Office of the Vice President Academic Affairs, will collate all applications and prepare a list of applicants. Students with a record of violation under the Student Code of Conduct Policy and Procedure (ACK.PLR.SA.01) or Code of Academic Integrity Policy and Procedure (ACK.PLR.VPAC.09) will be removed from the list with explanation noted.
- On the closing date, the Senior Manager- Office of the Vice President Academic Affairs, will summarize details relating to each applicant according to the criteria listed on the ACK Bursary Information and Criteria Sheet (ACK.FO.VPAC.25.02). The Senior Manager- Office of the Vice President Academic Affairs, together with another senior staff member, may require any applicant to attend a personal interview to discuss any aspects of the application.
- Within a period of two weeks after the closing date, ACK Bursary Committee to meet to review applications and allocate Bursaries taking into account:
- Financial position of applicant;
- Previous academic performance; and
- Other factors deemed relevant by the committee.
- For Bursaries from the Office of the Chairman, allocations may be approved and notified at any time at the discretion of the Chairman or his delegate.
- One week prior to commencement of new semester the Senior Manager- Office of the Vice President Academic Affairs, to email all applicants with notification of result of application. Confirming signed letters will be available for collection from the Registration Unit counter at the beginning of the new semester.
- Notification by Senior Manager- Office of the Vice President Academic Affairs, to Finance Department with regard to fees adjustment.
TERMS AND DEFINITIONS
- Academic Semester (Semester): is a Fall or Spring semester. Summer semester is optional and is not considered an academic semester.
- Bursary: Bursary refers to a financial contribution approved by the ACK Bursary Committee towards fees for study at the college.
- ACK Bursary Committee: Consists of the following individuals:
- Vice President – Academic Affairs: Committee Chair;
- Dean - Admissions & Registration;
- Dean- School of Engineering;
- Dean- School of Business;
- Senior Manager- Student Affairs;
- Senior Manager- Office of the Vice President Academic Affairs; and
- Any other individual appointed by the Vice President Academic Affairs to participate in the absence of a committee member.
- Cumulative GPA: A student's cumulative GPA is the weighted mean value of all grade points he/she earned on units attempted at any point in time. A student’s cumulative GPA is calculated separately for Diploma and Degree programs and will include grade points earned during a summer term if the student has taken studies in ACK during summer.
- Semester GPA: A student's semester GPA is the weighted mean value of all grade points he/she earned on units attempted during the course of one semester.
- ACK Bursary (Financial Aid) Application Form (ACK.FO.VPAC.25.01)
- ACK Bursary (Financial Aid) Information and Criteria Sheet (ACK.FO.VPAC.25.02)
© Copyright 2017. ACK. All Reserved.