Change of Major Policy and Procedure
To ensure that all ACK students who are permitted to change majors do so in a manner that is consistent with their academic needs and in accordance with the administrative processes of ACK and the Private Universities Council (PUC).
This policy applies to all students registered in Diploma programs offered by School of Engineering and School of Business and the English Language Program.
- Students registered in ACK Diploma Programs can submit a request to change their major only when the criteria stated in this document are satisfied. Students registered in ACK Degree programs are not eligible to apply for a change of major.
- Students must have studied at least one semester in the major for which they originally enrolled in.
- Students cannot apply for a change of major beyond their second semester1 of study in the major they originally enrolled.
- Students must meet the current admissions requirements for the new major they are looking to switch over to at the time of their application for a change of major.
- Students are allowed only one change of major during their study at ACK.
- Students must have a cumulative GPA of 2.67 or higher. Students who are admitted with disabilities as per the terms of Students with Disability Policy and Procedure (ACK.PLR.SA.02) may apply for a change of major with a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.50.
- Students should consult with their Academic Advisors before applying for a change of major. Students admitted with disabilities as per the terms of Students with Disability Policy and Procedure (ACK.PLR.SA.02) need to additionally consult with the Student Support Center.
- All changes of major are subject to approval in writing from the relevant the Associate Deans of Schools and the Head of Departments for both students’ previous major and the new major of application and the Associate Dean- Admissions & Registration. For PUC Scholarship students, the change of major requests need to be also approved by the PUC. (refer to Students on PUC Scholarships).
- All changes of major are subject to the availability of a place in the chosen major.
- Students must pay any additional fees that may result from the change of major.
- When changing majors units completed under the previous qualification may not necessarily be credited toward the new qualification enrolled in.
- Students anticipated graduation date may be delayed as a result of the change of major.
- Students must complete their Diploma level studies within eight (8) semesters of enrolling in their first major as per Academic Progression, Warning and Probation Policy (ACK.PL.VPAC.06).
- Self-funded students in the English Language Program wishing to change their major are required to apply for a change of major before entry to a streamed Foundation Skills level, i.e. Aviation English, Business English or Engineering English. All requests for change of major are subject to the conditions listed in the Students enrolled in Diploma Programs.
- PUC Scholarship students in the English Language Program wishing to change their major can only apply for a change of major after completing all required English levels and the first semester of their nominated diploma program. All requests for change of major are subject to the conditions listed in the Students enrolled in Diploma Programs.
- In exceptional circumstances, one or more of the criteria in the Students enrolled in Diploma Programs may be waived with the approval of the Vice President – Academic Affairs.
- Students who are on PUC Scholarships and who wish to change majors are subject to the following additional criteria imposed by the PUC:
- All changes of major must be approved by the PUC.
- All PUC rules and any amendments that relate to scholarships apply.
- The following procedures relate to the process for student applications to change major.
- Change of Major: Is a change in the program of study by a student in Diploma or Foundation level study.
- Academic Semester (Semester): Academic Semester is a Fall or Spring Semester. Summer Semester is not considered an Academic Semester.
- Request to Change Major Application Form (ACK.FO.AR.221.01)
Students enrolled in Diploma Programs
Students enrolled in the English Language Program
Students on PUC Scholarships
CONTROL OF PROCESS
Timeline regarding Change of Major Applications
|Time period||Action||Person responsible|
|Final week of the current semester||Final deadline for submission of Change of Major Applications via Enrolment Unit counter. All forms need to be signed by the relevant Dean of School , the Head of Departments for both students’ previous major and the new major of application.||Student|
|One week after end of semester||Collating of applications and recording of cumulative GPAs on the application forms.||Admissions & Registration Manager|
|Two weeks after end of the semester||Review and assessment of self-funded student applications||Dean- Admissions & Registration|
|Two weeks after end of the semester||
Review of applications from PUC Scholarship and other sponsored students.
|Dean- Admissions & Registration|
|For all self-funded applicants - Communication by email and advising the outcome of application.||Admissions & Registration Manager|
|Updating of PowerCampus records for all successful applicants.||Registration MIS|
|Updating of front cover of hard copy files for all successful applicants.
Filing of Change of Major applications for both successful and unsuccessful applicants.
|Student Records Officer|
TERMS AND DEFINITIONS
- Second semester refers to length of study – not to academic standing.
© Copyright 2017. ACK. All Reserved.