Credit Transfer Policy
The purpose of this document is to define ACK’s credit transfer policy for equivalent units undertaken in institutions accredited by the Ministry of Higher Education in the State of Kuwait.
This policy applies to all Credit Transfer (CT) applications for students in Fall 2016 cohorts and onwards.
Credit Transfer (CT) is the process of determining credit for units undertaken in institutions accredited by the Ministry of Higher Education in the State of Kuwait. The following principles underpin the Credit Transfer (CT) process in ACK:
Transfer applicants – Diploma only
- ACK grants Credit Transfer (CT) for equivalent units undertaken in institutions accredited by the Ministry of Higher Education in the State of Kuwait, completed with a minimum “B” grade or its equivalent in accordance with Grading Policy for September 2014 cohorts and onwards. (ACK.PLR.VPAC.05).
- Transfer applicants must submit an official SEALED transcript from each institution where units were attempted. Credit transfers are not granted for units completed more than six years ago at the time of making application.
- Only transfer applicants with a minimum Cumulative GPA of 2.00 can apply for Credit Transfer.
- Applications for Credit transfer are only accepted during the Acceptance of Transfer Students Applications period published on the ACK website and only before a student commences studies in a Diploma program. Late applications are not accepted.
- Applications are subject to evaluation; applicants should not assume any credits will be granted.
- 30 credits are the maximum number of transfer credits that a student can be granted in a given Diploma qualification. Any exceptions to this need to be approved by the Vice President – Administrative Affairs.
- Credit Transfer applications are subject to a non-refundable KD10 per unit regardless of the outcome of the application. Fees are payable at the Registration counter at time of submission of application. Required documents for applying for credit transfer are:
- Completed ACK Application Form;
- Completed Credit Transfer Form;
- Sealed Original Transcript of Study;
- Unit Outlines.
- It is the applicant’s responsibility to submit all required documentation in the required timelines and pay the required fees. Incomplete applications are not accepted.
- Credit Transfers are GPA neutral and students granted credit can opt to take the units as normal. Students should inform their decision to the College no later than the first week of the semester.
- Any appeals for decisions under this policy must be submitted directly to the Vice President-Academic Affairs, who may grant exceptions under extenuating circumstances.
TERMS AND DEFINITIONS
- Academic Semester (Semester): An academic semester is a Fall or Spring semester. Summer semester is optional and is not considered an academic semester.
- Unit: Also called a course in ACK, is basic component of a program, which on successful completion that gives credit towards completion of the program of study.
- Credit Transfer (CT): Is the process of determining credit for equivalent units undertaken in institutions accredited by the Ministry of Higher Education in the State of Kuwait. Credit Transfers are GPA neutral.
- Transfer applicant: Refers to a student who has graduated from high school and attended a tertiary education institution accredited by the Ministry of Higher Education in the State of Kuwait.
- Equivalent units: Refers to units comparable in content/learning outcomes and credit hours.
- Credit Hour: A credit hour is the unit by which ACK measures course work.
- Learning Outcome: Description of what a student will be able to demonstrate on successful completion of a specific unit of learning.
- Cumulative GPA: A student's cumulative GPA is the weighted mean value of all grade points he/she earned on units attempted at any point in time.
- Credit Transfer Application (ACK.FO.AR.103.01)
- Credit Transfer Clearance Form (ACK.FO.AR.103.02)
- Outcome of Credit Transfer Application Form (ACK.FO.AR.103.03)
- Outcome of Credit Transfer Application covering letter template (ACK.FO.AR.103.04)
© Copyright 2017. ACK. All Reserved.