Leave of Absence

The College has a formal Leave of Absence process for continuing students who need to take a break in their studies.  An approved Leave of Absence allows a student to break his/her continuous enrollment for up to two semesters without having to reapply for admission.

A student wishing to take a Leave of Absence must clear all outstanding amounts owed to the College and remove all holds on their records before submitting an application for Leave of Absence.


How do I apply for Leave of Absence?

Students must formally declare their intent to take a break from their studies to the Admissions and Registration Department before the start of a semester.

Students are responsible to meet with their Academic Advisors in a timely manner to discuss the implications and complete the necessary Leave of Absence Form (çadd link).  The deadline for submitting a Leave of Absence Form is published on the Important Dates (çadd link).  Late applications are not accepted.

Students should continue their registration as normal until all required approvals have been formally granted.  If approved, a leave of absence will be granted for one semester only.



  • Any “Incomplete” grade from a previous semester is changed to fail if not completed within the required timeframes announced by the College.
  • A student may apply for Leave of Absence for a subsequent semester by submitting another set of required documentation before the first day of classes.
  • A student is not eligible to apply for a Leave of Absence if there is an ongoing disciplinary investigation involving him/her.


Do the semesters away from study count?

A leave of absence is not counted towards the maximum period of completing a Program under the College progression rules.


Can I apply for a Leave of Absence if I am a sponsored student?

Leave of Absence requests from sponsored students (including PUC) also need the approval of the relevant sponsor.  Inquiries should be directed to the Scholarship Unit.


Can new students apply?

New students who are due to start their first semester of study in the College are not eligible for a leave of absence.


I have paid my fees and granted a Leave of Absence.  Will my fees be refunded?

For a self-funded student, fees paid during the registration period are kept in credit for the following semester if the request for Leave of Absence is approved.


When I return for the next semester, do I have to come to the College to register in my courses?

Student accounts are kept active to allow for registration in the following semester.  It is a student’s responsibility to check the Online Registration period published on the Important Dates (çadd link).  Students who fail to comply with this instruction or who do not apply to extend their leave of absence for a further semester are considered “Dormant” and will be withdrawn from the College at the end of the Census date. To resume studies in ACK, Dormant students will need to reapply for admission subject to the terms of the Readmission Policy.