HEALTHY LIVING COMMITTEE
To raise awareness of health and safety in a positive and engaging way, the ACK Healthy Living Committee was established as a coordinating team that is open to all students and staff for the purposes of organizing and promoting health and safety initiatives. Major ongoing activities of the Healthy Living Committee include ACK Health Days held on campus each semester; annual blood donation drive again on campus, and the smoking awareness campaign involving visits to local schools.
ACK HEALTH DAYS
The first ACK Health Day was held in March 2016 to raise awareness across campus of the effects caused by smoking on the body and the environment. As a fun way of attracting students, staff, and their families to attend the occasion, the main activity was the ACK Decathlon consisting of ten different events as diverse as football goal shooting, tennis serving accuracy, foot relay races and basketball three-point shots. Over 300 people attended this first ACK Health Day and as a result it was decided to have similar occasions each semester but with changing themes to highlight various dimensions associated with healthy living.
ACK HEALTH DAY THEMES
Themes associated with ACK Health Days to date include:
- Movember, to highlight cancer awareness generally.
- Australian Health Day, during which students and their families were given a first-hand insight into sport and lifestyle activities in Australia as a cultural awareness initiative.
- ACK Goes Green, to emphasize environmentally sustainable practices toward a healthier quality of life for present and future generations.
- Nutrition and Health, particularly to increase awareness of the importance of a balanced diet and healthy living habits.
- Fire Safety, including the opportunity for attendees to practice using fire extinguishers so they are better prepared for emergency situations.
- First Aid, again including the opportunity for attendees to practice emergency care treatments.
DONATIONS TO CANCER AWARENESS NATION
Cancer Awareness Nation (CAN) was selected as a local charity to benefit from donations received during the ACK Health Days and as of 2020, a total of KD8,000 has been presented to this most worthy cause.
BLOOD DONATION CAMPAIGNS
In 2017, the ACK Healthy Living Committee held a special blood donation drive to raise awareness of this lifesaving community program and for students and staff to give donations on campus. The event was organized with the motto “Every Drop Matters” to emphasize that each donation is important. The original campaign was so popular that intending donors had to be turned away as the blood donation agency ran out of collection bags. Therefore, it was decided to make the drive an annual event and to extend the collection over a longer period. In 2018, the second ACK Blood Donation Campaign was held over a two-day period and again was strongly supported by students and staff. In association with the occasion, a fun quiz was held with donors as they waited to give blood. The quiz was designed to test knowledge about different blood types and their compatibility. A target was set to obtain 300 blood donation offers for the 2019 drive and this was easily achieved during the three-day campaign period.
NATIONAL RECOGNITION FOR BLOOD DONATIONS FROM ACK
As a result of the large number of donations received by the Kuwait Blood Bank from ACK students and staff, a special honor was given to the college in 2019 for being the highest contributor from educational institutions across the country. ACK is proud of this recognition but more importantly it remains committed to highlight this essential community service and promote the cause across the campus.
ACK SMOKING AWARENESS PROGRAM
In 2014, ACK nominated smoking awareness as a priority goal with its commitment toward social responsibility. Initially, students within the School of Engineering were given the challenge to design and construct models to demonstrate the effects of smoking on people and the environment. Once these models were available, students within the School of Business used them as part of presentations and activities to be taken to local primary schools.
Each year, student volunteers and supervising staff visit primary schools for the smoking awareness program and very positive feedback has been received from the host administrations. During the presentations, children from the school watch a short video and personal demonstration of how even just one cigarette affects lungs and the environment. Following this presentation, the children take part in jigsaw puzzles, coloring posters and other activities related to the smoking awareness theme.
LINK TO STUDENT LEARNING
Associated with the ACK Smoking Awareness Program, on an ongoing basis, the School of Business introduced a learning assessment option that requires students to design engaging means to promote smoking awareness and then develop and conduct sessions within a primary school under supervision. Such experiences enable students to receive immediate feedback from the school groups as to the attractiveness of their activities and as such it is a special means to consider the effectiveness of their promotional endeavors. As a result of the encouraging impact of the ACK Smoking Awareness Program within primary schools, higher level presentations and activities are being developed for secondary schools and for the wider community.
HEALTHY LIVING COMMITTEE AWARDS
Since its establishment in 2014, the ACK Healthy Living Committee is proud of the high levels of recognition that it has received in relation to initiatives that promote healthier and safer workplace and general lifestyles. Special awards received by the ACK Healthy Living Committee include:
- Kuwait National Petroleum Company (KNPC), Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Health, Safety and Environment (HSE) Award – 2015.
- American Society of Safety Engineers (ASSE) Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) Health, Safety and (HSE) Excellence Award for Excellence in Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) – 2016.
- Kuwait Oil Company (KOC) Chief Executive Officer (CEO) prize of the Health, Safety, Security and Environment (HSSE) – 2016.
- Kuwait Oil Company (KOC) Chief Executive Officer (CEO) prize of the Health, Safety, Security and Environment (HSSE) – 2017.
- Tadweer recognition for ACK Goes Green Event – 2017.
- Kuwait Oil Company (KOC) recognition for ACK Goes Green Event – 2017.
- 12th Kuwait National Petroleum Company (KNPC) Health, Safety and Environment (HSE) Performance Award – 2019.
- Kuwait Central Blood Bank ‘World Blood Donor Day’ - 2019.