Mobility Program Policy and Procedure
The purpose of this policy and procedure is to ensure smooth operations of all ACK approved and managed short-term, international mobility programs organized by ACK Departments and undertaken outside the State of Kuwait.
- This policy applies to the following situations:
- Official international educational mobility programs arranged by ACK;
- Official international community service programs arranged by ACK;
- Official international internship programs arranged by ACK;
- Official international non-academic credit programs arranged by ACK; and
- Student travel funded by ACK, whether in whole or in part.
- Examples may include:
- Educational tours;
- Community service activities;
- Social innovation activities; and/or
- Short-term international work experience.
- This policy does not apply to the following situations:
- Official ACK Student Exchange Programs; and
- International students travelling to and from their own home country, unless they are officially participating in an ACK program and travelling with the ACK travel group.
- ACK recognizes the value of experience gained in an international setting and incorporating non-academic programs in the campus life experience for students in order to provide opportunities that may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Gaining practical and professional experience that is relevant and complimentary to academic studies;
- Applying skills obtained in the College environment to real-life situations and/or applying experiences obtained during the overseas experience to the College environment;
- Acquiring first-hand knowledge of international cultures;
- Interacting with international cultures in an overseas environment;
- Developing professional skills and exploring global work environments;
- Establishing professional and social networks in an international environment;
- Conversing in English with native speakers; and
- Experiencing Australian and other international tertiary environments.
Mobility Program Approval
- A Mobility Program Approval Form (ACK.FO.VPAC.39.04) (Including draft itinerary and budget if applicable) is to be submitted to the Office of the Vice President –Academic Affairs for approval and signature prior to the mobility program.
- ACK reserves the right to restrict, deny, cancel or postpone any college-managed international programs for reasons such as, but not limited to, minimum participant number and travel risk concerns.
- The ACK International Internship program is coordinated with an Australian-based partner organization and is subject to a formal application and approval process. Students wishing to participate in the program must meet academic and English language entry requirements.
- Participating students are responsible for applying to participate in ACK mobility programs and paying any associated fees in accordance with the relevant College policies, procedures and timelines in this regard.
- Students may be subject to eligibility criteria in order to participate in ACK mobility programs.
- Students with a record of violation under the Student Code of Conduct (ACK.PLR.SA.01) or Code of Academic Integrity (ACK.PLR.VPAC.09) will not be eligible to apply for participation in mobility programs.
Attendance During Programs
- Attendance for students whilst participating in mobility programs is mandatory and will follow the general principles of the Student Attendance Policy and Procedure (ACK.PLR.VPAC.01). Students may be excused from participation in accordance with Section 2.3 Excused Absences Student Attendance Policy and Procedure (ACK.PLR.VPAC.01).
- Violations will be recorded on a student’s record and will affect a student’s eligibility for participation in future mobility programs. In extreme situations, non-compliant students may be directed to leave the mobility program early and at their own financial cost. In such circumstances, every effort will be made to notify the parent(s)/guardian to provide details regarding the situation.
- Students missing assessments whilst participating in mobility programs will follow Section 2.3 Excused Absences Student Attendance Policy and Procedure (ACK.PLR.VPAC.01).
Student conduct during programs
- Participating students are bound by all policies of ACK and any host organisation/s involved in the mobility program. Student will abide by the General Principles of the Student Code of Conduct (ACK.PLR.SA.01).
- Students are responsible to familiarize themselves with the General Principal of the Student Code of Conduct and comply accordingly to ensure that their own reputation and ACK’s reputation is not compromised in any manner. Violations are investigated and disciplined in accordance with the policies of ACK and the host organization/s. ACK may terminate a Student's participation in a Mobility Program if they fail to maintain what ACK considers to be an acceptable standard of conduct.
Supervision during program
- Participating students may be travelling with an assigned staff member of ACK, however this may not be the case for all programs. Students and Parent/legal guardians are informed of supervisor arrangements during the Pre-Departure Orientation Meeting.
Risk and Safety Management
- Students considering participation in an international mobility program are responsible for familiarizing themselves with the political, economic, legal, social, health and other safety-related conditions associated with the country they are travelling to.
- All students are responsible for applying and securing their own visitor/tourist visa to the country of travel, including the financial costs associated with visa applications. ACK does not bear the cost of visas.
Travel and Medical Insurance
- A signed Student Emergency Contact & Medical Form (ACK.FO.VPAC.39.03) is required from all participants. This form provides medical information including medical conditions or health concern; prescription and non-prescription medications; allergies or reactions; travel insurance information and emergency contact information. This form includes Parent/Guardian signature where applicable.
- All students must acquire travel and medical insurance which is deemed adequate by ACK in order to participate in the mobility program.
Student Declaration Form
- A signed Student Declaration Form (ACK.FO.VPAC.39.01) is required from all participants. This form includes Parent/Guardian signature where applicable.
Pre Departure Orientation Meeting
- A Pre-Departure Orientation Meeting must be held for all participants and Parent/Guardians. Student will be provided with written and verbal information on all aspects of the program including costs and responsibilities. All students and Parent/guardians must complete and sign the Pre Departure Orientation Meeting Checklist (ACK.FO.VPAC.39.02).
- Students may be required to complete a progress report to be submitted to their relevant School and Department.
- Specific School and Department requirements will be communicated during Pre-Departure Orientation Meeting and included in Pre-Departure Orientation Meeting Checklist (ACK.FO.VPAC.39.02).
CONTROL OF PROCESS
- A member of Faculty wishing to recommend a Mobility Program for approval needs to complete the Mobility Program Approval Form (ACK.FO.VPAC.39.04) and gain all required approvals to proceed.
- Faculty members are requested to nominate eligible students for a Mobility Program and partially complete Pre-Departure Orientation Meeting Checklist (ACK.FO.VPAC.39.02) ensuring verification from Admissions & Registration Department and endorsement by Head of Department is completed.
- Students are required to complete a Student Declaration Form (ACK.FO.VPAC.39.01) and a Student Emergency Contact & Medical Form (ACK.FO.VPAC.39.03).
- Student will attend a Pre-Departure Orientation Meeting and sign the fully completed Pre-Departure Orientation Meeting Checklist (ACK.FO.VPAC.39.02).
TERMS AND DEFINITIONS
- Mobility Program: Means any program approved and coordinated by ACK that involves students undertaking an overseas experience.
- ACK Student: Means a currently registered learner in a unit of study at ACK, or Alumni Students.
- Student Declaration Form
- Pre Departure Orientation Meeting Checklist
- Student Emergency Contact & Medical Form
- Mobility Program Approval Form
© Copyright 2017. ACK. All Reserved.